hair, skin, and nails

before i got pregnant, my hair was growing pretty fast and shedding less than usual (since switching to shampoo bars and a wooden comb). my nails were ok, and my skin was clear 90% of the time.

during pregancy, my hair started growing faster, my skin was perfect and pretty, and my nails grew like weeds (which was annoying). also i basically stopped shedding hair.

since having rowan, my skin is a MESS! it's awful, and it's stressing me out. my hair has kept growing fast from what i can tell--it's really long, just above my butt--and still wasn't shedding. and my nails are still growing fast.

but yesterday i henna'd, and when i combed it afterwards i noticed i had started shedding again; 3 months on the dot. now comes the fear that i will have issues with postpartum hair loss... apparently the amount of hair loss is related to the stressfulness of the birth, in which case, i'm f*cked. royally.

i can only hope genetics comes in to play because i know my mom didn't lose enough hair to even notice, so maybe i'll be ok. i shed a lot normally anyway, and the hairball i was left with yesterday was smaller even than usual, but still. i worry. i have two friends who lost about 1/2 their volume after birth, and one of them is only getting back now, after 5 years. considering i am growing my hair to maintain around my hips, having it be super-thin is not really an option!

as for rowan, her little bald spot around the back is trying to fill in but i think rubbing on the crib is thwarting it a bit. it looks like she will be a strawberry blonde like me, at least for a few years. and i don't think her eyes are changing either. it's weird how strongly the blonde/blue eyes must have come through me--i would never have guessed that, considering her daddy's chocolate eyes and dark hair. and we have no blondes in the second generation back...

her baby acne is all cleared up (yay!) and the cradle cap seems to be done too. her little nails grow super fast too, and they are not easy to cut! but the way she rubs her face and whatnot it has to be done.

i wanted to post more about child spacing (i found an interesting--opinionated--article about it) but it's nap time and i'm not feeling inspired enough just now. it's on the way, though.

1 Response to "hair, skin, and nails"

  1. ReadingRenee Says:

    My hair shed horribly with my first birth( come to think of it, it was very traumatic) So far shedding has been minimal compared to last time.

    Both of my daughters so far are strawberry blondes as well. My first daughters father has dark skin and dark brown eyes aslo so I was VERY surprised when a pale red head showed up! Samara also is strawberry blonde and her dad is blonde and blue eyed. My mom is strawberry blonde though. I just have brown hair with copper highlights.

    My skin has been icky since birth too, I figure its hormones. I have been making an extra effort to wash my face a little more often and thats been helping. :)

Post a Comment